The Dutch have the best cheese in the world. It’s a bold statement, but it’s true. If you can get your hands on some Dutch cheese for this recipe, you are so lucky.We celebrate this award-winning Gouda cheese by making a cheesesteak sandwich in a pizza oven. If you don’t own a pizza oven, you can make this recipe in your barbecue as well.
- 1 large Turkish bread
- 1 onion
- 1 chuck steak
- 100 grams Gouda cheese
- 150 grams butter
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp chives chopped
- Let the butter come up to room temperature. Cut it into smaller pieces to speed up the process.
- To make the herbed butter, grate the garlic cloves and chop the chives finely. Mix it with the butter with some salt and pepper.
- Fire up your pizza oven.
- Cut the Turkish bread in half and put some of the butter on both halves. Toast the bread in the pizza oven until it looks golden brown.
- Cut the onion into thin slices and put a cast iron pan in the pizza oven to heat up. Melt some butter in the pan, put the onion in and cook them till they soften.
- Spread the onion slices on the bottom part of the bread.
- Cut the chuck steak into thin slices. As thin as you can. Put the meat in the freezer, so it’s easier to do.
- Heat up the pan for the second time and sear the slices of chuck. When the outside forms a crust, they’re done.
- Ad the slices to the bread on top of the onions.
- Slice the Gouda cheese. Get a Dutch cheese slicer if you don’t have one. Cover the meat with the slices of cheese. Top it off with a few bits of the herbed butter.
- Put the bread back in the oven and let the cheese melt. Put on the crown of the bread and cut the bread into 4 parts so you can share.
Calories: 400kcalCarbohydrates: 9gProtein: 8gFat: 37gSaturated Fat: 24gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 109mgSodium: 501mgPotassium: 103mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 1145IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 203mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.