If you ever have been to the United States and especially to Manhattan you properly heard about the pastrami sandwich. It’s so simple, just an ordinary sandwich of white bread but with incredibly delicious tender beef in between. This is my classic pastrami recipe so you can enjoy that pastrami sandwich at home from your own grill.
- 1000 grams Brisket flat cut out of a whole brisket
- 1 liter water
- 3 tbsp 0.6% nitrate salt
- 3 tbsp fine kitchen salt
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp cilantro powder
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tsp piment peppercorns
- ½ cinnamon stick
- 2 bay leaves
Preparing the brisket
- For this recipe we won't need the entire brisket, we only need the flat muscle. So start off by trimming of the point muscle and save it for another recipe.
- Next up, clean up the brisket. Trim off any excess and lumpy fat and shape it up nicely.
- Now it't time to brine your brisket. Take a large zip lock bag or container and lay in your brisket.
- Take ameasuring cup and fill it with the required amount of water. Add the table salt, nitrate salt. Make sure to check what the maximum nitrate levels are i your country and adjust the recipe accordingly.
- Continue by adding the brown sugar, coriander seeds, mustard seeds, ground pepper, chilli flakes. all spice, cinnamon and bay leaves. stir it up until the salts and sugar have dissolved into the liquid.
- Fill up your container until the brisket is fully submerged in the brining liquid.
- Place the container in your fridge to brine for six days.
Smoking the pastrami
- Take the pastrami out of the container and place it in your smoker at a temperature of 120X/248F until it hits a core temperature of 92C/198F.
- When it's done, take it off the smoker and let it rest in a sheet of aluminum foil and place it in your oven at a temperature of 65C/149F. The longer you rest it, the better it will get!
- And that's it! Stack it on a sandwich with some pickeld red onions and saurkraut and you'll be as happy as can be!
Calories: 218kcalCarbohydrates: 5gProtein: 26gFat: 10gSaturated Fat: 3gPolyunsaturated Fat: 0.4gMonounsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 5418mgPotassium: 439mgFiber: 0.4gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 82IUVitamin C: 0.2mgCalcium: 25mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!