Chuck steak is one of the cheapest big cuts of beef in your butcher shop. It’s such a forgiving cut of beef and you can do so many things with it but have you tried an ‘’authentic’’ Chuck Steak Casserole with it? Casserole filled with chuck steak, a beautiful tomato and bechamel sauce and topped off with a lot of cheese straight from the BBQ. A must try recipe!
- 800 grams chuck steak
- 2 tbsp PitmasterX Classic BBQ Rub
- 1 tbsp seasalt
- ⅔ tbsp black pepper
- 60 grams butter
- 300 grams bacon strips
- 4 red onions rings
- 1 white onions sliced
- 800 ml passata tomato paste
- 100 grams butter
- 4 tbsp all purpose flour
- 150 ml milk
- Fire up your grill and set it up for direct heat.
- Season your chuck steak with salt and pepper.
- Sear your steak on all sides for around 4/5 minutes to get a nice sear on the outside and let it rest on the board.
- Chop 4 red onions into rings
- Heat up a cast iron pan and put in a lumb of butter.
- Render out the bacon strips.
- Add the red onion and put everything in a bowl when the onion turns soft.
- Use the bacon fat to fry the white onion until it's soft.
- Add the Passata and season with salt and pepper.
- Put a lit on the cast iron pan and let it come up to a boil.
- Grab an oven tray and pour in the bacon and onion on the bottom.
- Slice up the chuck in thick slices and layer it on top of the bacon and onion. The steak should be purple ( raw ) in de middle still.
- Pour the passata sauce on top.
- Bechamel Sauce
- Add 100 grams of butter to a small pan and let it melt.
- Add 4 tbsp of flour, mix it up and start mixing it untill you have a bechamel sauce. Measurements aren't sacred here. If it's to thick; add milk. Too thin; add flour.
- Add the bechamel on top of the rest.
- Add grated cheese on top and put it in an oven or reset your BBQ for indirect heat.
- Let it sit there at a temperature of 160°C/320°F for around 45 minutes.
- Take it off let it cool for a couple of minutes and scoop up a big piece of that cheese with bacon and steak!
Calories: 610kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 27gFat: 48gSaturated Fat: 22gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 2gCholesterol: 138mgSodium: 1369mgPotassium: 1025mgFiber: 3gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1103IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 83mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Masterbuilt for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.