Pork belly is the most versatile cut of pork you can buy. The combination of meat, fat and flavour is just perfect and it’s very hard to mess up.To make this smoked pork belly tastier I am going to use a Chinese technique to maximize the flavour.
How well is this recipe
- 1 piece pork belly no skin
For the dry rub
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1 part onion powder
- 1 part salt
- 1/2 part curry powder
- 1/8 part cayenne pepper
For the BBQ sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw cane sugar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp of the dry rub
- If you have a piece of pork belly with the skin on you slice this off and crispen it up later to chicharon. Then square the pork belly up so it looks better when served.
- To maximize the surface we cut it into cubes but not all the way through. Start at the meatier side of the belly and leave the fat side intact.
- Mix the ingredients for the dry rub and sprinkle it on and between the meat.
- Start your smoker with a temperature of 140°C/284°F. Place the pork belly on the grates and close the lid. Smoke the meat like this for 3 hours.
- Wrap the pork belly in aluminium foil and place it back in the smoker for one hour.
- In the meantime mix all the ingredients for the bbq sauce in a pan and let it simmer till the sugar is dissolved.
- Take the pork belly out if the foil. Brush it with the bbq sauce and put it back in the smoker for half an hour to let the sauce caramelize.
- Let the pork belly rest for 10 minutes before you serve it.
- As an extra side dish, you can make chicharon by drying the pork skin. Cut it up in squares and frying it till it’s golden brown and crispy.
Calories: 1900kcalCarbohydrates: 35gProtein: 33gFat: 181gSaturated Fat: 66gPolyunsaturated Fat: 19gMonounsaturated Fat: 84gCholesterol: 245mgSodium: 1145mgPotassium: 1056mgFiber: 1gSugar: 30gVitamin A: 780IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 44mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Burnhard for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.