Tamales are a Mexican recipe and a complete meal in bite-size form. They are made from corn dough and stuffed with vegetables or meat.These chicken Tamales that Chef Eric Gephart made are great to serve a hungry group of friends.
Masa (a batter)
- 4 cups maseca tamal cornflour
- 1½ cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp salt
- 1⅓ cups lard
- 2 pound masa
- 1 pound Roasted Chicken shredded
- 1 cup salsa verde
- 16 piece corn husks soaked for a few minutes
- 4 piece corn husks to tear for ties
- ½ pound queso fresco
- ½ cup lard
- We start by making the masa. In a mixer using the whip attachment, pour in the cornflour. Start the mixer at a low speed and slowly pour in the chicken stock. Next, add the salt and lard. Reserve for later use.
- Start up your Kamado Joe and stabilize it at 175°C/350°F.
- While the wok is heating, spread out the corn husks and wipe 1 teaspoon of lard on the surface of each husk.
- Then evenly spread 2 to 3 tablespoons of batter onto each corn husk.
- Using a spoon put 2 tablespoons of Salsa Verde in the center of each batter mass.
- Place 1 tablespoon on shredded chicken on top of the salsa Verde and top with a sprinkle of Queso Fresco.
- Folding inward, fold both sides of the husk to the center and fold the top down. Use your husk ties to tie the tamales as seen in the video.
- Place a layer of husks atop the simmering water and shingle the tamales on top so that no tamale is sitting in water and the openings are facing a bit upward. Cover the tamales with another layer of husks.
- Close the dome and simmer steam for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour, remove and let stand for 10 minutes. To firm up, then open your tamale and enjoy!
Who is chef Eric Gephart?Chef Eric Gephart is the Global Culinary Director for Kamado Joe, Content Creator and all around world adventurer. After spending years as a leader in the restaurant industry and as a teacher of all thing delicious, Chef Eric has found a digital home for sharing his passion for both food and people. Please enjoy these unique recipes, thoughts and perspectives as we all begin this new chapter in our lives. For food related questions, comments or concerns as well as thoughts on partnerships please reach Eric via Instagram @EricGephart
Calories: 1226kcalCarbohydrates: 180gProtein: 61gFat: 31gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 2479mgPotassium: 1105mgFiber: 15gSugar: 6gVitamin A: 2239IUVitamin C: 8mgCalcium: 688mgIron: 19mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.