Sometimes I just want to make the ultimate bbq snack. And what’s better than grilled chicken?
Smoked and grilled chicken drumsticks in a creamy cheese sauce that you can easily adjust to your own taste.
- 1 kilo of chicken drumsticks
- 4 tbsp of olive oil
For the dry rub
- 1 part raw cane sugar
- 1/2 part fine salt
- 1/4 part garlic powder
- 1/4 part onion powder
- 1/8 part mustard powder
- 1/8 part chipotle
- 1/8 part black pepper
For the cheese sauce
- 25 grams of butter
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 300 ml of milk
- 400 grams of grated cheese
- more milk
- 2 jalapeños
- Mix the ingredients for the dry rub and keep 2 tbsp aside. Put 2 tbsp of the dry rub in a bowl and pour in the olive oil.
- Put the drumsticks in the bowl and mix it up so all the meat is covered with de dry rub marinade.
- Fire up your grill to a temperature of 160°C (320F) with a chunk of smoke wood.
- Put the drumsticks on the outside of the grates and close the lid. Let them sit for one hour and flip halfway through.
- Take the drumsticks out and put on a pan. Melt the butter and stir in the flour till it browns. This is called a roux.
- Ad the 300 ml of milk and stir it till you have a smooth consistency. Then put in 300 grams of the grated cheese and let it melt while stirring.
- Deseed the jalapeños en slice them fine. Put them in the cheese sauce and bring it to taste with a little black pepper.
- Pour the sauce in a cast-iron skillet and stick the grilled drumsticks in the sauce. Top it off with the rest of the grated cheese and the 2 tbsp of dry rub you set aside.
- Put it back in the grill and let it reheat at a temperature of 200°C (392F).
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.