Every time I’ve got a crazy idea, I got to act upon it. And this time, I had the idea of making the perfect combination of cheesesteak and flank steak pinwheels.And If you have been following my YouTube channel, you know I had to do it Pitmaster X style. That means big and spectacular. I made the biggest flank steak pinwheel in the video, but you can make a smaller version at home.
How well is this recipe
- 1 piece whole flank steak
- 500 grams Gouda cheese grated
- 3 tbsp fleur de sel
- 3 tbsp ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp paprika powder
- Trim off the silverskin and fat from the outside of the flank steak. Then you slice the steak in 2 or 3 thin cuts by slicing it horizontal with a long and sharp knife. Just watch the video on how to do it or ask your butcher.
- Now you square off the meat to get rid of the tapered ends and the loose bits at the sides. You end up with a few thin steaks with an even width.
- Lay the cuts of flank steak one after the other and let them overlap 3 or 4 centimeters.
- Season the meat with even parts fleur de sel, ground black pepper, onion powder and half a part garlic powder and paprika powder.
- Now you lay out a heavy layer of grated cheese on top of the flank steak. Make sure that the sides stay clean.
- Fold the steak sideways and tie it up with butchers twine every 3 to 4 centimeters.
- Start up your grill with low direct heat.
- Roll the stuffed steak like a giant sausage and pick it up with a pizza peel. Put the flank steak sausage on the grates and close the lid.
- When the bottom gets a nice crust, you can flip the meat with the same pizza peel. Be careful not to break the shape of the meat.
- Close the lid again and wait for the meat to reach a core temperature of around 55 to 60ºC/131 to 140°F.
Calories: 552kcalCarbohydrates: 10gProtein: 44gFat: 37gSaturated Fat: 23gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 176mgSodium: 6366mgPotassium: 488mgFiber: 2gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 1603IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 923mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Napoleon for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.