What can you do with brisket that hasn’t been done before? I think I did it. I coated a whole brisket with spicy Doritos and smoked it.
It seems like a ridiculous idea, but you have to try anything at least once before you can judge it. I tried it, and I was pleasantly surprised.
- Whole packer brisket
- Mild mustard
- 3 bags of chilli pepper Doritos
- For the dry rub
- 1 part table salt
- 1 part ground black pepper
- 1/2 part onion powder
- 1/2 part paprika powder
- 1/4 part garlic powder
- Do not trim the brisket but leave the fat cap on. Just pat the surface dry with some paper towel.
- Brush a good layer of mustard on all sides of the meat. Mix the ingredients for the dry rub and sprinkle an even layer on the brisket.
- Open the bags of Doritos and crumble them by squeezing the bags. Sprinkle a heavy layer of the crushed Doritos on the brisket and push it in the mustard.
- Fire up your smoker with a temperature of 140ºC (284F). Lay the brisket on the grates, stick a thermometer in the thickest part and close the lid.
- After 8 to 9 hours, the brisket has reached a core temperature of 96ºC (205F), and then you can take it out of the smoker.
- Let it rest for 20 to 30 minutes before slicing the brisket.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.