Tri-tip is my favorite cut of beef. It’s a relatively unknown piece of meat that’s triangular in form and comes from the sirloin. It’s fairly popular on the west coast of America.
For this cook, we go all in to make the juiciest tri-tip we’ve created so far with a steak sauce to go with it.
- 1 good quality tri-tip with a good fat cap
- Sea salt
BBQ Tri-tip seasoning
- 1 part fleur de sel
- 1 part ground black pepper
- 1 part paprika powder
- 1/4 part curry powder
- 1/8 part onion powder
- 1/8 part garlic powder
- 1/8 part cayenne pepper
- Carve the fat cap of the tri-tip, so it renders down while it cooks.
- Mix all the ingredients for the seasoning and coat the meat side of the tri-tip.
- Turn the meat over and sprinkle an even layer of salt on the fat cap.
- Set your barbecue to smoke with a temperature of 120°C (248F) and a chunk of smoke wood.
- Place the tri-tip, fat cap up, and close the lid. Let the meat cook to a core temperature of 52°C (125F).
- In the meantime, you can make the steak sauce by putting on a pan on the stove. Pour in the ketchup, vinegar, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, the tri-tip seasoning, and the mustard.
- Stir it well and bring this to a boil and let it cool down and put it in a jar.
- When the meat reaches the desired core temperature, take it off, and boost the temperature of your smoker to 370°C (700F). Place the meat back on and sear. Take it off and let it rest for at least 15 minutes.
- Slice the tri-tip against the grain. You must know that a complete tri-tip consists of 3 parts where the grain runs in different directions.
- Serve the tr-tip with the steak sauce and eet smakelijk.
Big thanks to Masterbuilt for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.