Now is the time to let out your inner Bear Grylls. We’re going to grill whole chickens on large bamboo sticks.Youtube is where I get my inspiration, and the other day I saw that they roasted chicken on large bamboo sticks. I found some bamboo skewers and tried it myself.
How well is this recipe
- 1 piece whole chicken
- 1 piece lime
- 3 piece chili peppers
- 10 cm kurkuma root
- 1 piece ginger fresh thumbnail sized
- 1 litre sweet soy sauce
- 4 tbsp sugar
- Make the marinade by cutting and squashing everything, except the chicken of course, and put it in a large bowl or ziplock bag. Pour in the soya sauce.
- Cut the chicken in half by removing the backbone on cut it between the breastbone. Put it in with the marinade and let this marinate for 4 hours or overnight in the fridge.
- Cut the bamboo so it sits perfectly on the sides of your grill. Split it to about half the size of the stick. Put the chicken between the split bamboo.
- Fire up the barbecue for direct heat with the coals to one side. Place the bamboo sticks with the chicken on the sides of the grill beside the fire.
- Now grill the chicken while you turn it every now and then till the meat reaches a core temperature of 75°C/167°F.
- Let the chicken rest for 10 minutes and then you can eat it right of the stick.
Calories: 474kcalCarbohydrates: 16gProtein: 36gFat: 29gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 143mgSodium: 140mgPotassium: 455mgFiber: 1gSugar: 13gVitamin A: 374IUVitamin C: 9mgCalcium: 32mgIron: 3mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Big thanks to Kamado Joe for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.