There is something magical about cooking over an open fire. You got to attend the fire and look at what’s happening.We are cooking a complete meal with just fire and smoke and it is fantastic. This is a cook you want to share with your friends and family.
How well is this recipe
- 2 kg Pork leg
- 1 kg Sea salt
- 2 pieces Bell peppers
- 2 pieces Zucchini
- 2 pieces Shallots
- 2 cloves Garlic
For the basting sauce
- 1 piece Juice of a lemon
- 2 pieces Juice of two oranges
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 tbsp Jack Daniels Tennessee Fire
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
For the bread
- 400 grams Self-rising flour
- 320 grams Greek yoghurt
- A day before the cook you got to dry brine the pork leg with a heavy layer of salt. Now place the pork leg on a rack above an oven tray and in the fridge. Let it sit there overnight.
- Take the pork leg out of the fridge and rinse the salt off under cold streaming water. Pat the meat dry with a paper towel.
- Fire up the grill and hang the pork leg above the fire with about a meter distance from the fire.
- String the vegetables on some metal wire and hang them next to the fire where it can hang for a longer time without them burning.
- Mix the ingredients for the basting sauce and baste the pork leg with it once every 15 to 20 minutes.
- For the bread, you mix the flour and the yogurt. Keep adding flour until the dough doesn’t stick to your working surface.
- Divide the dough into 8 parts and make some balls and flatten them.
- Watch the vegetables and move them when they are getting soft and start getting some color.
- Grill the dough balls till they are golden brown on both sites.
- The pork leg is done when it has a core temperature of 65°C (150F)
- Now cut up the vegetables, slice the meat, and serve with the bread.
Calories: 1096kcalCarbohydrates: 79gProtein: 80gFat: 49gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 6gMonounsaturated Fat: 28gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 208mgSodium: 97749mgPotassium: 1339mgFiber: 4gSugar: 4gVitamin A: 299IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 221mgIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!