I let Morrison take over the channel for a day, and he couldn’t wait to raid the fridge and grill a skirt steak. His favourite steak by far.
He freewheeled it and made a magnificent skirt steak sandwich that you can’t eat without making a mess. Be prepared to shower after you eat this.
- Inside skirt steak
- paprika powder
- 2 tomatoes
- 8 slices of white bread
- herbed butter
- red onion in rings
For the tzatziki
- a cucumber
- 500 grs of thick Greek yoghurt
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp of fresh-cut dill
- the juice of half a lemon
- Put the yoghurt in a bowl and add 3 pressed cloves of garlic and the dill.
- Take the cucumber, peel it and grate it over a clean dish- or tea towel. Wrap this and squeeze all the moisture out.
- Add the cucumber to the yoghurt with the lemon juice. Stir it and season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle some paprika powder over both sides of the skirt steak and start up your grill for high direct heat.
- Grill the steak on both sides until you see a nice crust. Don’t worry too much about the core temperature because the skirt steak is very forgiving.
- Season the grilled skirt steak with salt and pepper while you let it rest.
- Put a cast-iron skillet on the grill and let it heat up while you slice the tomatoes.
- Pour in some olive oil and grill the tomato slices for a few minutes. Season them with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Spread the herbed butter on both sides of all the slices of bread and toast them on the grill until they are golden brown.
- Cut the skirt steak against the grain in thin slices, and then it’s time to make the sandwich.
- Start with a toasted slice of bread and brush on the tzatziki. Put on a few pieces of skirt steak and roasted tomatoes. Next are the onion rings and the arugula.
- Top it with the next slice of toasted bread and start over.
- Do this a third time, and the anaconda style steak sandwich is done.
Big thanks to Napoleon Grills for sponsoring this post.
Please return the favor by visiting their website.
BBQ gear used
Disclosure: Some of the links in this post are affiliate links and if you click on them to make a purchase I will earn a commission. I link these articles because of their quality.