Rendang is one of the most popular beef stews in the world. It originates from the Indonesian island Sumatra. The first written record of this recipe is made in the 16th Century.
To make sure I am getting you the best rendang I can think of, I called my friend Huub Hamar de La Brethoniere. He is the winner of the Dutch TV show Grillmasters. This Rendang recipe is his signature dish.
- 2kg beef plate ribs
- 2kg Chuck roast steak
For the boemboe:
- 80 grams fresh garlic
- 600 grams onion
- 200 grams Spanish pepper
- 80 grams kemiri nuts (candlenuts)
- 100ml sunflower oil (for in the boemboe)
- 500ml sunflower oil (for frying)
- 80 grams of lemon grass
- 80 grams of ginger
- 80 grams Loas, galangal
- 1 piece dried kurkuma
- 2 lime leaves
- 4 salam leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
Spice mix ingredients:
- 20 grams lampong pepper
- 20 grams coriander seeds
- 20 grams cumin seeds
- 40 grams of salt
Final Rendang ingredients:
- 10 cloves of garlic
- shrimp paste
- 100 grams of palm sugar
- 400 ml of coconut cream
- 50 grams of coconut shaving
- Cut the fresh herbs for the boemboe into large chunks, except for the onions. Roast the ingredients in a super hot wok without oil until they have a little char on them. Now slice the onions into rings and grill them separately.
- Roast the spice mix ingredients in the hot wok. Grind them down in your blender until you end up with the fine mixture. Set them aside for later.
- Take the roasted garlic, candlenuts, the chili peppers and put them in a blender with 100 ml of oil. Grind the ingredients fine until you end up with a paste. This is called the boemboe.
- Add sunflower oil to the wok and fry the boemboe paste. Fry the ingredients for about 5 minutes. Then add the onions, lemongrass, Laos, ginger, dried kurkuma, lime leaves, salam leaves, cinnamon sticks. Keep in stirring for another 5 minutes. The color of the boemboe needs to change to a darker color.
- Smoke the beef ribs and the chuck roast over indirect heat at around 140 degrees Celsius for around 15 minutes. Cut the meat into steak size and grill them over direct heat for extra flavor.
- Once grilled, cut the meat into cubes. Place the meat, the boemboe, and the spice mix into a dutch oven. To that, we add 10 cloves of garlic fine, fine chopped. A small piece of shrimp paste, 100 grams of palm sugar and 400 ml of coconut cream. Mix all of the ingredients together and let the Rendang simmer for 3 hours with the lid on.
- For the last 30 minutes, we reduce the sauce by taking off the lid. Roast 50 grams of coconut shaving and add it to the rendang.